How I Use Property Insurance To Protect My Gadgets Against Theft Or Damage

There is nothing worse than spending hundreds of dollars of your hard earned cash on a new gadget, only to have it broken or stolen shortly thereafter. There are a number of things you can do to protect your new tech toys, with some not quite as obvious as the others.

First off, you should look into device protection. If you don’t mind the bulk, get yourself a nice case. If you like the sleek lines of a naked gadget, look at getting an invisibleSHIELD. Either of these will protect your gadget from scratches or even falls.

But what can you do to protect your gadgets from getting stolen?

Well, we’ve talked about registering your devices and recording their serial numbers. There’s the obvious importance of not leaving your device out in your car, or flashing it to strangers in dark alleyways. But what about when you’ve done everything, and your new phone or laptop is broken or stolen?

Here’s what I do. I’ve got a student property insurance policy with $8,000 coverage (I have a lot of cool gadgets!) that covers stolen items and accidental damage. The policy covers everything from my iPhone, Kindle, to less techie things like my bike or clothes.

Property insurance is different than homeowners or renters insurance, because it covers accidental damage, and it typically has a (much) lower deductible. You can talk to any insurance agent about it, or if you are a student, you can Google NSSI or CSI Student Insurance. I don’t want this to look like I’m pitching insurance, but this is a killer way to protect your stuff, or at least protect your wallet.

Tags: , , ,